Take a wild guess…Moisture? Of course, but something more crucial than that.Oil? Well, yes. But ultimately, our hair needs TLC. Yes! TLC. With out it, no magic product or tool will help you retain the length you desire. You may say, “my hair is tough, its stronger because its natural”. But beware, you may be misinformed.Our hair is actually more fragile than we think. It needs us to be very gentle with styling, brushing, detangling, you name it. Sometimes, the best TLC your hair can recieve is when its left alone, which is where protective styles come in. Here are 6 things naturals should look out for when trying to give hair more Tender Loving Care!
- You’ve heard it before, I’ll say it again: If you are going to comb or detangle, start from the ends!
- DON’T wear your hair in its afro state 24/7. Now if your hair does not tangle much, cheers to you. Your among the lucky. For many, this is breeding ground for tangles to formulate. Tangles can lead to breakage. I find that if I do want to wear my hair out, I try to wear it in a twist or braid out and re-do it every 2 to 3 days.
- Moisturize more than once a week. This means wetting your hair with a mist from the spray bottle every other day, or put some moisturizing leave-in conditioner in your hair. I know shrinkage can get annoying, and water causes shrinkage, but our hair is thirsty! Quench it with moisture! I personally try an moisturizing at least every 2 to 3 days
- Less is more. The fewer tools used in hair, the better. Learn to truly utilize your hands. If you have a tool that is absolutely necessary, for me it is the Tangle Teezer, try and use it a little bit less than you usually do. I try and use the Tangle Teezer once or twice every 2 weeks.
- Nourish your hair from within…DRINK WATER! Our skin and hair need internal moisture as much as it needs external moisture. You are what you drink.
- Ultimately, Patience and Gentleness are the keys to having healthy strands!
Nurture your hair, and it will show you love in return:)